KAJ (clearly an abbreviation of Kehinde Akintunde-Johnson) was born on March 26, 1995 in Lagos, Nigeria. He has acquired a B.A in Visual Arts, specialising in Painting from The University of Lagos (UNILAG).
A painter and a pencil artist, KAJ’s painting and drawings come in different styles – ranging from impressionism, surrealism, fauvism, realism, to hyper-realism.
The reason for the versatility of his styles and technique(s) is merely as a result of spontaneous responses he gives to the dynamic questions he is asked in his romantic discussion with life. When he works, there is always music playing. He believes that music and Visual Arts work hand in hand. He is interested in colour, detail, abstraction and spontaneous depiction.
My Art philosophy is free… because as an idea is planted in my mind like a seed, the actualization of that idea could be realized through one or various styles like the roots of a tree. Expression is my intent for creating art.
Events and Shows.
- Group show at Felabration , Freedom Park, Lagos. 2016
- Solo show at Lagos Books and Arts Festival (LABAF), Freedom Park, Lagos. 2016
- Shortlisted at the prestigious LIMCAF Art Prize, Port Harcourt, Nigeria. 2017
- Participated in Group show: Journey of self discovery, by Studio Scout Omenka Gallery, Ikoyi, Lagos. 2018
- Art director at Nitro 121, Lagos, 2020